Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Preparing Frozen Vegetable Puree from Deceptively Delicious

Using the methods that Jessica Seinfeld outlines in her book Deceptively Delicious I prepared the following :

1.                    A total of 5 1/2 cup servings and 1 1/4 cup serving of zucchini
2.                    A total of 2 1/2 cup servings of spinach
3.                    A total of 2 1/2 cup servings and 1 1/4 serving of of yellow squash

It was definitely a long project and lucky for me M took a 3 hour nap. I also still have a sink full of dishes. I hate having pots that you have to wash by hand!

I also plan to purchase sweet potatoes and my Mom is bringing over beets from her garden. I plan to roast and bake all at the same time in the next couple of days. I bet my house will really smell like fall!

Here a few tips based on what I learned from the process. Small zucchini work much better for pureeing. Larger squash will have larger firmer seeds.


The slices are about 1" thick.



I measured the puree into a measuring cup and then poured in the freezer bag.
I stretched the freezer bag over a clean coffee cup to avoid spills.

You know how they shake the blenders around a bit at smoothie shops? I discovered that it really helps when you are pureeing too.

My most important tip for you is not to overcrowd the vegetables. Ensure that each piece has ample space to be steamed evenly.


No comments:

Post a Comment