Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Frugal Strategies : How to Blanch and Shred Zucchini

I'm a girl who loves her sweets. So is my darling M. She really, really likes zucchini bread. I really, really love Zucchini Bread, the recipe I found here at http://www.allrecipes.com/, with 700+ reviews you really can't go wrong!

I also Blanche and shred my zucchini first. I feel that it increases the moisture content of the bread and it doesn't come out so tough and hard as my bread often did in the past.

I usually use the larger zucchini for this purpose since the yield is obviously greater with a bigger squash!

Preparation:

Wash, but do no not peel. Cut zucchini into 1”- 2" slices



Blanching :



Water-blanch for 3 - 8  minutes or steam-blanch for 1 to 5 minutes. It depends on the length and size of the zucchini that you are using. I usually blanch until the squash has just lost it's firmness.

Promptly cool in an ice bath and and drain.









Shredding:

Steam-blanch for 1 to 2 minutes until translucent. Shred with a cheese grater or food processor. Cool while draining.



Pack measured amounts into freezer bags and seal leaving at least 1/2 " of space.
Label and freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment