Friday, September 24, 2010

Confessions of a Couponholic - Either I Can't Stop Spending... Or Stuff Really is Exspensive.


So I have been putting off updating the ol' blog this week. I guess it's because I am so ashamed of the fact that I could not adhere to the very goals that I established and set forth. I blame two realities in the failure of my plan. A) I really do have a spending problem. Ouch. That hurts to say. B) In order to purchase healthy, wholesome food for your family a budget of $25.00 is definitely not realistic. Who in the heck was I kidding?

The shopping list was compiled in advance as I stated and a majority of the items were fresh produce which was prepared in order to achieve my secondary goal of sneaking veggies into our daughter's diet.

I spent $61.94 on fresh items for the week but this did also include broccoli and cauliflower to be steamed and butternut squash and sweet potatoes to be roasted. These items are for the Deceptively Delicious recipes and will be used throughout the weeks; so it's hard to say that this upfront cost will be consistent. I also spent an additional $18.32 on items that Maddie likes to eat since she seems to be very particular and not taking to my new take on her menu. Yes, this does include cans of Spaghetti O's and Campbell's Soup. A kid does have to eat!

So a grand total of  $80.26, roughly $5.00 over what our usual budget is. I attribute this to the additional pantry items that we had to purchase. However, if I truly was a person that could only survive on a $100.00 a month food budget I just don't see how it could be done in a manner where you could eat healthy too.  I am so thankful and grateful that my parents are the urban farmers that they are as well. I highly doubt that I could obtain organic produce and still maintain my family's budget of $300.00 per month for food.

No comments:

Post a Comment