Tuesday, September 14, 2010

How to Deal with a Picky Eater : How I USED to Deal

How did I deal with my picky eater? Well has of right now I still allow her to be a picky eater. I give into her requests and demands. As a result she eats mostly fruit. In her entire "schedule" of food is usually: strawberries, pineapple, mandarin oranges, blueberry waffles, eggs, strawberry cream cheese, gold fish crackers, honey nut Cheerios, yogurt, milk, macaroni and cheese, Spaghetti O's, and cheese. Cheese! Oh my does she love cheese. Which brought me to Deceptively Delicious, my pediatrician mentioned that one of the recipes called for white bean puree in the macaroni and cheese. That alone sold me on the book. I thought about buying it several times but as usual the book fell into my hands.

I am convinced that I can sneak the foods that we love and want to share into what our daughter will actually eat. I can remember really not liking the texture of some foods that I LOVE today, so I think if she can get used to the flavor of some of the vegetables we can eventually bring her around! Oh and meat too, M will not eat meat either. Unless you consider meat to be lunch meat. Because she will take a few nibbles of ham here and there. So I intend to sneak some meat into her diet too!

Lucky for me most of my vegetables that I steamed and pureed were grown in my parent's organic garden, however, the vegetables that used are readily available right now!

My first attempt at sneaking beans into M's food was a complete fail. I used an entire can of garbanzo bean puree in a box of Annie's Organic Macaroni and Cheese. M knew immediately that there was something up with her favorite dinner time dish. She refused to even scoop one spoonful. My husband said she even called it "caca" Spanish for poop! After I actually READ the recipe I found that it only called for 1/2 cup. Voila! That probably would have gotten her to eat her beans. Next time!

However, my variation on the recipe in Mrs. Seinfeld's book will be based on what I have on hand at home. So most of my takes on her recipes will vary!

No comments:

Post a Comment