Saturday, October 24, 2009

Spinach Artichoke Dip



I’m famous in my circle of friends for my spinach artichoke dip. I am always asked to take it to gatherings and I am always happy to oblige. Why? Mainly because we buy the artichoke hearts in a 65 oz jar at Costco and it’s a cinch to make! The artichoke hearts are fantastic in a variety of recipes and last for a very long time; the entire jar costs about $12.00!

I took this to pumpkin carving party today and it only cost me about $5.00. I also picked up the bag of baguettes for about $2.00, but I still managed to stay around $7.00 for a fantastic dip that is always a hit!




1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach -$1.00

1 cup canned artichoke hearts, roughly chopped - approx $1.50

½ medium yellow onion, chopped – approx. $.50

1/2 cup mayonnaise - approx. $.50

1/2 cup sour cream – approx. $.50

1 cup freshly grated Parmesan – approx. $1.00

1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar

2 teaspoons chopped garlic (2 cloves)

1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon olive oil



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Sauté onions and chopped garlic in olive oil until onions begin to soften. Add balsamic vinegar and continue cooking until onions begin to caramelize. Heat the spinach in a microwave oven on high for 5 minutes and squeeze dry. Drain the artichoke hearts and coarsely chop in a food processor.

Add artichokes, spinach, and red pepper flakes to onions and garlic and stir until fully incorporated. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.

Combine all the ingredients. Stir well. Scrape into the prepared casserole dish and add additional grated Parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes.  Serve with toasted baguettes or corn chips.



1 comment:

  1. I attended the party where this delicious dish was served, and if you didn't move quickly you were lucky to get a second bite. Truly everyone was standing around like vultures trying to get their share. Great recipe and what a hit it was at the pumpkin carving bash

    ReplyDelete