Thursday, October 29, 2009

Easy and Fast Tomato Bisque



We've got about 2 feet of snow where I live since last night and it's freezing outside, definitely making for a perfect soup day! There has always been something about tomato soup and snow days that really makes me happy. These days I like to take your standard condensed tomato soup and turn it up a notch. By adding a few additional ingredients you can have a soup that is a little more sophisticated and grownup but still satisfies the way it did when you were a kid! For around $4.00 you will get about 4 servings. Note: Prices are based on my local supermarket's offerings.



2 cans condensed tomato soup - $1.78

1 1/2 cans milk – appox. $.50

1/2 can water

1 can diced tomatoes $1.29

1 teaspoon dried basil to taste

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

1 tablespoon butter

1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese – approx. $.50



Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir well. Bring to boil on medium- high. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. I told you it was fast!

I serve my tomato bisque with toasted ciabatta croutons. To make croutons slice 1 ciabatta roll into slices about 1" thick and top with fresh grated parmesan. Toast in toaster oven until golden brown and parmesan begins to bubble. Cool and cut into cubes. Add croutons to soup before serving. Top soup with additional grated parmesan cheese. Note: My local grocery stores sells 6 ciabatta rolls for $2.79 or about $.47 each.

1 comment:

  1. This soup was AMAZING! In fact it was so good, I risked the consequences and ate the rest of the leftover soup without sharing with the Chef. Wonderful idea to use toasted ciabatta bread for the croutons. I am impressed with another great culinary invention by my wife!

    I am one lucky dog.

    ReplyDelete